I found dried cherries at my local “The Source” bulk wholefoods store and I just had to buy some. But then I had to decide what to make with them. The sweet yet tart flavour lent well to a savoury dish that needed a boost. So I decided to put them in my Christmas Slaw recipe. And lo-and-behold it was divine! But if you don’t have dried cherries on hand, you could use dried cranberries (more easily found in your local supermarket) or at a stretch sultanas. Sultanas won’t have the tartness but they will add a touch of sweetness.
As you can see I served this Wombok slaw up with freshly caught and baked trout.
Wombok Slaw with dried cherries
A simple and quick slaw recipe that can be a great side dish to any protein you choose.
- 1 wombok
- 6 carrots (I used multicoloured heritage carrots)
- 4 spring onions
- ¾ cup walnuts roughly cut
- ½ cup dried cherries or cranberries, sultanas or raisins
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- Slice the wombok and spring onions thinly
- Grate the carrots
- In a bowl combine the wombok, carrots and spring onion
- In a separate smaller bowl whisk the dressing ingredients together until smooth
- Pour the dresing over the salad and stir until combined
- Top with walnuts and cherries