This roast beef is so simple. The hands on cooking time is about 3 minutes. The oven does the rest for you! I love cooking up a beautiful roast beef and then I slice it up for lunches and dinners through out the coming week. This weeks roast made at least 6 meals!
Simple Roast Beef
- 2 kg beef roast like a ribeye roast
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celsius
- Rub the olive oil and salt into the roast
- Place the roast on to a tray in a roasting pan to allow air to fully circulate
- Put into the hot oven for 15 minutes. This hot temperature allows the outside of the roast to have a nice crunch.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180 degrees celsius and continue to roast for a further 35 to 45 minutes. (Each 500g of roast requires 25-35 minutes of cook time, minus the inital 15 minutes at the hotter temperature).
- Adjust accordingly for your preferred level of doneness. You should use a meat thermometer to determine when the roast is done. Push the meat thermometer all of the way into the center of the roast. Pull the roast from the oven when the inside temperature of the roast is about 10 degrees less than your desired level of doneness. The temperature of the roast may rise while the roast is cooking.
- Let the roast rest for at least 15 minutes, covered in aluminium foil to keep warm, before carving to serve. Rare: 50-55 degrees - bright purple-red, tender and juicy. Medium Rare: 55-58 degrees - bright red, warm, tender very juicy.Medium: 58-62 degrees - rich pink, slightly juicy Medium well: 62-68 degrees - tan with slight pink, firm, slight juice Well Done: 68 degrees and above - tan to brown, very little juice, meat can become tough.