I’ll let you in on a secret… I sometimes break my own gluten-free rule! Banana bread has been a long time love of mine and whenever I go to an airport I allowed myself a slice of banana bread and coffee. It is a treat that I savour and enjoy thoroughly. But I haven’t been to the airport in over a year! (Let’s just blame CO-VID.) I miss banana bread!!!
So I decided to make banana bread. If it was to be in my house and eaten regularly it needed to be a healthy version. Not the sugar-filled, gluten-filled type that I would buy at the airport!
This banana bread is made with coconut flour and has some maple syrup as a sweetener alongside the bananas. (You could make it without the maple syrup all together if you wanted!)
Banana Coconut Bread
- 3 very large bananas mashed
- 6 large eggs lightly whisked
- 4 tbsp real maple syrup or honey
- 3 tbs almond butter or any nut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp clove
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ⅓ cup chopped nuts and seeds eg. pepitas, almonds, pistachios, walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a loaf tin.
- Mix together all the wet ingredients with the mashed banana.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and combine. You will notice it quickly thicken as the coconut flour absorbs a lot of liquid.
- Pour the mixture into the lined loaf tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 - 70 minutes. Or until the top is spongy and cooked.
- Cool in the tin for 15 minutes before removing and slicing the loaf. Individual slices can be frozen and reheated by lightly grilling.
- Serve alone or with butter, or as in the picture with coconut yoghurt and a few fresh berries!